Events DC is seeking a creative individual who is grounded in traditional public relation principles, proficient in digital media (social media, e-mail, website, etc.), experienced with pitching stories, promoting events through earned media and has a proven track record of engaging a diverse array of media outlets.
A successful candidate will oversee a wide variety of communications and media relations programs to include events that Events DC owns, sponsors and hosts.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: public relations (working closely with the local media, coordinating media outreach efforts, pitching stories for earned media, establishing PR strategies around events, drafting press releases, composing media advisories, draft talking points and assist in planning press events), developing content for website, social media, newsletters (internal and external, digital and print), e-marketing campaigns, presentations, sales materials and annual reports.
This position will be the primary coordinator to help Events DC expand and deepen its relationships with media organizations and targeted reporters that foster positive news and public perceptions of Events DC. This position is required by the communications & marketing department of Events DC to help tell the story of being the premier convention and sports authority for the nation’s capital.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Vice President of Communications and Marketing for Events DC.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications and marketing strategies.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Existing relationships with reporters and media outlets, especially in the sports and entertainment industries.
- Experience pitching stories for earned media opportunities.
- Well versed in a variety of social media platforms.
- Strong project management skills and organizational ability.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and to handle a large number of tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Must be a quick learner and able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Must be energetic and self-motivated.
- Must have excellent computer skills including all Microsoft Office applications and design and graphics software applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with personnel from all levels of the organization.
- Self-directed and able to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- A desire to learn and grow.
CORE COMPETENCIES (FUNCTIONAL MANAGER)
- Media Engagement
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Operational Effectiveness
- Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Ability to read, write and produce instructions, directions, letters, memoranda, brochures, newsletter media and other written materials.
- Ability to converse orally and utilize standards telephones, mobile devices, and two-way radios to receive and communicate information to the industry, staff, and customers.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED
- Develop earned media opportunities for Events DC staff, facilities and events.
- Research and draft press releases, media advisories, statements, talking points and other external correspondence.
- Maintain and foster relationships with local and national reporters, producers, columnists, editorial writers and influential bloggers.
- Maintain and build relationships with local, national and international media outlets.
- Develop copy and help maintain press kits, content for newsletters as well as Events DC’s digital press assets/press room.
- Serves as contact for department for all media inquiries, photo, logo usage and other materials requests.
- Fulfill individual journalist requests including research, fact-checking.
- Proactively contact/pitch key journalists to discuss possible story angles, profile interviews and arrange interviews with Events DC representatives.
- Maintain database of writers/reporters, editors and related media associates based on interests.
- Assist in planning and participate in regular press events to highlight the organization’s programs and objectives.
- Monitor/manage editorial calendars.
- Update content on website and social media channels.
- Identify and track publicity opportunities, speaking engagements and strategic partnerships and events.
- Track earned media.
- Develop content for various internal and external media and marketing materials, including staff and customer newsletters, fliers and invitations.
- Maintain databases of media contacts, customers and other historical information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.