As Building Maintenance Mechanic Assistant, the incumbent works under the guidance of the supervisor and/or work leader. The supervisor assigns work orally or through work orders, building plans, and blueprints. Minimum direct supervision is received, and the incumbent determines the extent of repairs, modifications, and installations needed and exercises judgment in selecting the methods, techniques, and procedures to use in completing assignments. The incumbent makes complete and difficult determinations of materials and methods to be employed. The incumbent tests and makes needed adjustments to work. The supervisor or higher-level mechanic gives advice on unusual problems. A high degree of precision is required in all areas of work. Guides for proper completion of assignments include work orders, oral instructions, blueprints, sketches, specifications, and accepted trade practices and standards. Work is checked upon completion to see that it meets accepted trade standards and is completed in a timely manner.
The trades involved require a knowledge of shop mathematics to plan, compute, and layout projects; the ability to interpret and apply building plans and blueprints; and skill in the use of tools and equipment common to the trade. Knowledge, skills and abilities in at least two trades, which include: carpentry, painting, mobile equipment, plumbing and other trades.
- Assists the carpenter in the construction, remodeling and repair of various structures assigned to include the installation of sheet rock and taping.
- Assists the painter in the preparation and painting of wood, brick, plaster and metal surfaces assigned to the Paint Shop.
- Assists the mobile equipment mechanic in performing maintenance and repairs to all Authority mobile equipment to include electric, diesel and gas operated units.
- Assists or performs maintenance and repair to plumbing systems including sprinkler systems, drains and related equipment (i.e., hot water heaters).
- Assist the electricians and perform simple electrical tasks
- Incumbent may be required to perform HVAC as directed by the supervisor and performs a variety of other tasks and duties as assigned.