The HCM Fellowship program is seeking a collaborative, organized problem-solver who has a strong interest in education policy and is passionate about improving education for all students. If you are passionate about improving education policy through communications and advocacy, the HCM Strategists Fellowship Program offers a unique opportunity for professional growth and learning.
Our fellows are enthusiastic, innovative and strategic thinkers with excellent verbal and written communications skills. Fellows are team players and have a strong commitment to our clients. They enjoy being part of an inclusive culture that promotes diversity and equity. They are also fun to work with and develop working relationships that benefit them far after their fellowships have ended.
As a fellow on the Postsecondary Team at HCM, you will play an important role in supporting leaders across our education team, specifically in the areas of state financing and policy development, equitable transfer initiatives, analysis of state-specific legislative budgets and policies, and research and analysis on current postsecondary trends including common ground public will initiatives, enrollments and completion data, financial aid and other areas deemed necessary.
The HCM Strategists Fellowship Program affords young professionals the opportunity to:
- Gain firsthand experience working on a variety of projects designed to communicate and advocate for specific policies in postsecondary education reform.
- Have regular interaction with a team of education experts with decades of experience at all levels of government, school districts, nonprofits, etc.
- Experience how policy and advocacy work translate into real-life projects and initiatives.
- Learn how to work in a professional environment with senior leaders across education advocacy organizations, state policymakers, and the business community.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated interest in education and workforce policy and/or advocacy, with knowledge of education policy preferred.
- Passion for education and equity issues.
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and desire to learn on-the-job. Must be a self-starter and can work independently and with a team.
- Strong research abilities. Some understanding of data analysis preferred.
- Ability to translate and broadly communicate complex research, policy and legislation topics for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to successfully complete a background check.
When: Fall 2022 - Spring 2023
Compensation: This is a paid opportunity, with a monthly stipend consistent with similar positions in the field.
Location: This is a remote position.
Technology Provided: HCM will provide a functional laptop to fellows entering the program if the fellow is unable to acquire a device on their own. Fellows will need to agree to our Technology agreement, and all HCM equipment will need to be returned to the Program Director at the end of the fellowship term.
Responsibilities: Fellows with HCM Strategists perform a variety of tasks that support our partners and staff in our legislative, media, research and policy, and administrative work. Specific responsibilities include:
- Conducting background research and analysis on a variety of state and federal policy issues.
- Monitoring education policy-related publications for relevant news stories related to client interests and activities.
- Contributing to the development of client deliverables, including presentations of findings, memos and reports, and general thought partnership.
- Researching state and federal education activities.
- Attending meetings that may be of interest to clients and writing cohesive synopses.
- Compiling and assembling information requested by clients, as necessary.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on both client and HCM documents.
- Assisting with general client meeting planning tasks.
- Contributing to a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Course Credit: If applicable, HCM will gladly work with the student's academic department to ensure the fellowship meets course requirements, which may earn the student course credit for the experience. The fellow is responsible for furnishing HCM with details of the course requirements, in order to ensure the experience aligns with the required objectives.
HCM Strategists is a public policy advocacy and consulting firm dedicated to making a difference in the lives of students and patients. We believe that good policy ideas are created when individuals are given a voice, and that sound public policy drives progress. We strive to align, advocate for and advance such policy to improve education outcomes.
Our team’s record of effectiveness demonstrates that achieving policy change takes a combination of high-level government experience, an understanding of people's struggles, a network of strong relationships, keen analytical and listening skills, and the relentless commitment to find fresh, creative approaches to addressing issues.
For more information on our firm, please visit our website at www.hcmstrategists.com.
Supplemental Documents Required:
Please upload two brief, (1-3 pages, approx.), writing samples. Please have one writing sample include a policy position paper or a memo which outlines specific policy recommendations.
HCM Strategists is an equal opportunity employer affording all employees and job applicants' fair and equal treatment. HCM complies with the letter and spirit of all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination, including discrimination based on race, age, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities.